30 November 2008

Fender 1971 Telecaster Reissue CIJ TL71

Since i started playing the guitar, The one model of guitar that i really had no form of love for was the telecaster. I just did not find the look of a telecaster appealing whatsoever. They were these ugly looking guitars with limited pickup options. I have always thought that telecasters were only made for country music and that was it.

Pictures Courtesy From hub4thailand

I stumbled on a chance to pick up a telecaster out of curiosity, I have owned many different kinds of guitars but never a telecaster. I picked up this pre owned piece from Jeff or better known as hub4thailand. The entire guitar was stock. made out of an ash body and a one piece maple oval neck. The pickups are the TL-Current. These were the so called lower end of pickups that Fender japan were putting in their vintage series Teles. Rumor has it that these series of guitars have stopped productions and have been discontinued by Fender japan.

My hate for the Teles changed when i brought this back home. I was so impressed with the Tele as i realized how versatile it is. The tone is simply amazing. There was so much twang and bite to the tone for a guitar with only 1 single coil and a lipstick pickup. I especially loved the neck lipstick pickup. It produced such a warm and quacky tone that's especially beautiful for playing the blues. The neck felt comfortable enough even though there was too much gloss on the back of the neck. The overall construction is great. Fender japan is known for their excellence in building beautiful reissue replica's of their vintage reissue series and some say that the Japanese give the Fender custom shop models a run for their money in terms of build quality hence these guitars are only meant for the Japanese market.


My perception of the telecaster has changed. I simply love the tone of the telecaster. I still find these guitars not the best lookers around but they certainly make up in tone and feel. I have changed the pick guard to a mirror one. Not too sure if it's for better or for worse but I'll probably swap them back to stock once i get bored of the John5 telecaster look.

Pro's:
  • Affordable
  • Great Tone
  • Discontinued Model
  • Light Weight
  • Very Versatile
  • Comfortable neck
Con's:
  • TL-Current Pickups (Could have been better with some high quality pickups)
  • Too Much Gloss On The Back Of The Neck
Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment